Terrazas del Lago by Morph Estudio has received the Third Award at International Architecture Awards 2018. International Architecture Awards 2018 is the annual Awards hosted by Architecture Podium. After the consecutive success in hosting IAA, Architecture Podium in its Third year had launched IAA 2018 with even more Categories and Awards.
In previous years, Architecture Podium created one of the largest awards in architecture and design with some of the esteemed studios as winners like Aedas, TerreformOne, Rockwell Group, Pepe Gascon Arquitectura, Morphogenesis, Dada & Partners, Nadaaa, XTEN Architecture, Mecanoo, ABIBOO Architecture and many more from across the globe making IAA one of the most successful awards. The mission of the IAA Award and Competition is to provide a fair, ethical and competitive platform for architects and designers and innovators from all design fields with different experience levels, diverse disciplines, and market focus to compete on while providing them a global audience to showcase their success and talents to.
To know more about the IAA 2018 and Architecture Podium visit: International Architecture Awards 2018
Terrazas del Lago is located in Madrid. The plot has a regular shape surrounded by streets on 3 sides. According to cadaster, it has a surface area of 4176.00 m² with a constructed area of 23141.33 m² (Above ground: 15177.75 m² & Below Ground: 7963.58 m²). The building is one of the first buildings in Madrid to achieve Class A Energy Rating. It consists of 10 floors above ground with 83 housing units distributed in 5 portals and 5 commercial units with direct access from the street. It has additional facilities of 83 storage units, garage parking for 203 cars and 4 motorcycles.
The building typology is of an open block projecting private open spaces with landscaped gardens, swimming pool and paddle sports area.
This building was designed after the complications of the regulations which was to align 75% of the façade with the site line leaving just 25% of the façade to play with. The plot has a huge park on its southern side. Using this to our advantage, we oriented and shaped the building facing the parks by designing huge terraces with unparalleled views and an organic form, thus, redefining the perception of a housing. In a minimum order, the façade shaped by heterogeneous texture was designed, breaking the typical paradigm of horizontal design.
The façade composition is consistent with ceramic cladding, a fabric sheet, and self-supporting screed. The ceramic cladding is composed of stoneware ceramic tile (40cmX40cm; received with improved cementitious adhesive C2 TE grey). The fabric sheet is 11.5 cm thick fabricated of perforated ceramic brick (rough) coated with industrial cement mortar, grey color M-5. The insulation between plates is made of glass wool panel and the insulation between stiles is made of glass wool panel. The free self-supporting backing system is made with 2 sheets of laminated plaster screwed directly to a self-supporting structure of metal profiles.
The external windows in the facades have been designed to function practically with foldable aluminum windows (tilt-and-turn one window pane per bedroom) with thermal bridge break and compact extruded aluminum shutter system with lacquered or anodized finish in color. In living rooms, the windows have a lifting sliding system. Roller shutters of extruded aluminum slats and injected polyurethane inside for thermal/acoustic installation. It has been finished in matching color of exterior carpentry.
We have provided double glazing glass for thermal insulation. The South façade consists of double glazed glass with low thermal emissivity and acoustic insulation (Planitherm Super S, 16mm air chamber). The rest of the openings also have a double glazed glass with low thermal emissivity and sound insulation.
The exterior vertical coatings have a façade of dark stonker type ceramic or similar, with horizontal bands coated with white Krion. The terraces are clad with Krion covered with terrace petticoats.